In recent years, there’s been a surge in people living and working in green spaces. For some, it’s all about the beauty of indoor plants, and for others, it’s just a hobby.
Regardless of their motivation, they all enjoy the benefits of keeping indoor plants. These include:
- Better indoor air quality
- Helps alleviate stress
- Can help accelerate recovery from illness
- Boost productivity
So, if you’re thinking about keeping indoor plants in Saudi Arabia, you may be on to something. However, you should know that plants need care, and you should prepare for it.
Read on to learn everything you need to know beforehand for your Khobar indoor garden to thrive.
1. Get the Right Tools
While it’s not too much work, keeping indoor plants comes with responsibilities. To make this easier, you’ll need to purchase some tools. Great options to start with are:
- Gardening gloves to keep your hands clean and safe when handling prickly plants
- Watering can
- Plant scissors for trimming
- Watering bonsai and a spray bottle for small plants
- Teaspoon to serve as a shovel
- Kitchen tongs for taking cactus cuttings
- Containers for your plants
2. Determine the Type of Plant you Want
Indoor plants come in a wide range of species, sizes, and varying maintenance needs. Therefore, you need to choose plants that can thrive in Khobar and under the level of attention you’d like to give them.
While it’s impossible to have a self-sufficient indoor garden, some plants thrive with little care. These are ideal when starting out or if you can’t give too much attention to a plant. Also, consider the plant’s environmental needs, such as sunlight. This will determine where in the house you can position the plant.
Another critical factor is the type of plant. In this regard, you have options such as hanging, long trailing, and large architectural plants.
3. Get the Right Containers
Even if you buy potted plants, you may want to repot them after bringing them to your home. This is because commercial pots are often small and have little aesthetic appeal.
The container you choose will largely depend on the plant. Some of the containers you can use include:
- Terra-cotta pots
- Plastic pots
- Ceramic pots
If a container becomes waterlogged, the plant may be at risk. So, ensure your containers have drainage holes.
4. Find the Right Potting Mix
Should you choose to repot the plants, you’ll also need pot mixing. Contrary to what you may think, there’s no standard pot mixing. As such, you’ll need to find one that suits your plants. Your options include:
- All-purpose mix- Can be used for most houseplants aside from hyacinths, tulips, and ferns
- Cactuses and succulent mix- Contains more sand and stone to make it ideal for succulent plants
Tips for Keeping Your Indoor Garden Thriving
While the maintenance needs of indoor plants vary, there are some general tips that you should follow:
- Learn to recognize when your plants need water
- Be cautious of overwatering indoor plants as it’s more dangerous than underwatering
- Know the ideal temperature, ventilation, and humidity of your plants
- Ensure your plants get enough sunlight
- Use fertilizer to supplement nutrient intake
Unlock Your Full Potential
Indoor plants have become a common feature in contemporary decor. However, beyond increasing aesthetic appeal, they also have a good nourishing effect on your physical and mental health.
If you want to get more mental and physical nourishment, taking yoga classes in Khobar is an excellent option. At Align, we use Yoga, pilates, and massage to nourish the mind, body, and soul. In so doing, you can enjoy a calmer and more productive life. So, book your session today to unlock your full potential.